Bubinga is a beautiful, dense hardwood with a lustrous appearance. Comments: An immensely popular imported African hardwood, Bubinga may be loved as much for its quirky name as it is for its strength and beauty. Bubinga drum shell Bubinga drum shell Bubinga is a red/brown West-African wood type that's the heaviest of all shells. Bubinga is a hard and heavy wood that is grown in Cameroon, Gabon and the Ivory Coast of … This wood is optional. Bubinga is very frequently seen with a variety of figure, including: pommele, flamed, waterfall, quilted, mottled, etc. Bubinga lumber as sold today includes two species (Guibourtia tessmannii and G. pellegriniana). Weighing in at over 5kgs. I turned a bubinga bowl for the first time. West Africa, from East Nigeria through Gabon to Zaire, drier regions in the lower tropical rain forests. Species of Guibourtia also produce Congo copal. Here is the second photo of the same rocker. Die Blüten bestehen aus vier K… A beautiful, dense hardwood with a lustrous appearance, bubinga has a rose-colored background with darker purple striping. The Janka hardness test measures the force required to embed a .444 inch steel ball to half its diameter in wood. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. Did you make it? Bubinga, Kevazingo. But, after substantial sanding and a BriWax clear finish, the finished piece is has an understated elegance. The next day I broke out in a severe rash where I had contact with the fine particles. How beautiful! It belongs to the category of very hard wood, since the hardness obtained according to the Chalais Meudon method at 12% moisture rate is between 7.7 and 14.8 with an average of 9.8. But whoa is it heavy!!! Wood Hardness Chart – Bigger, Better, More Woods July 3, 2015 June 30, 2015 by Best Bass Gear With our last wood hardness chart, several noted that there were certain woods missing that should be in the list, so we’ve expanded the list to 224 different species. Bubinga sounds closer to … I have a 2004 Ibanez S1626FBNT, the top is a beautiful. Bubinga’s deep red brick and high density provide an undeniable visual and physical presence. Wegen der großen Härte und des oft unregelmäßigen Faserverlaufs lässt es sich mit Handwerkzeugen nur schwer bearbeiten. Yet Bubinga also features a host of stunning grain figures, such as flamed, pommele, and waterfall, which make this wood truly unique. ***We will deal with African Rosewood separately, though it is sometimes referred to as Bubinga. Bubinga has a close resemblance to Rosewood, and is often use in place of more expensive woods. One thing though, they weren’t kidding when they said the odor is “unpleasant”. Do you have a recipie you can share for your sealant? It is less than white oak, hard maple, and almost all other common household species, the equivalent of honey mace. Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; medium pores in no specific arrangement; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; mineral deposits occasionally present; growth rings distinct due to marginal parenchyma; rays faintly visible without lens; parenchyma vasicentric, aliform, confluent, and banded (marginal). However, the finished product is really a beauty and with a Briwax clear finish it has an understated elegance. I have put it on my pine shelves and oak table and alway think of what a good job it does when I see them. It glues well… bends well… Nice guitar wood. When it’s dry I’ve never noticed any unpleasant odor, in fact after drilling a lot of holes in it your blade will dull fairly quick and start to burn the wood, same with routing, but I did notice the smoke from some pieces when that happened smelled very sweet. References This Detarioideae-related article is a stub. Reading this made me realize why I’ve seldom seen green turning blanks of Bubinga. Color: Vivid pinkish red to dark reddish brown with dark purple or black streaks. I also make my own polish using beeswax and vegetable and coconut oil, it comes out noticably nicer than the shop brought stuff and is food safe, completely natural and quite economical as I can get a bar of wax for 75p at a local honey farm and one bar can produce 2 jars of polish. Trade Names. That’s an understatement – it smells like vomit. Bubinga is an incredibly strong wood by any measure. Bubinga Wood Veneer. RELATIVE HARDNESS OF SELECTED WOOD FLOORING SPECIES (Ranked by Janka hardness rating) The Janka (or side) hardness test mea-sures the force required to embed a .444-inch steel ball to half its diameter in wood. Pricing/Availability: Should be moderately priced for an import. Rot Resistance: Ranges from moderately durable to very durable depending upon the the species. Required fields are marked *. There is a wood hardness test called the Janka Hardness Test. Attached are two photos of one of my rockers. Note: Wood pink or reddish brown, with some fine purplish red veins. Sapwood is a pale straw color and is clearly demarcated from the heartwood. Here is my Warwick Thumb with Bubinga pommele body and Ovangkol neck. I have never noticed a “bad” smell, and indeed, it is hard on tools and hard to work. It may be a bit daunting to work with, but luckily the carpenter has enough features to make it more accessible. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! Bubinga is very strong, hard, and beautiful - a truly unique wood. Bubinga can be found with several different figure types from grained (most Common) to waterfall and pomelle. The rocker is stack laminated, then power sculpted, then hand sculpted and finished with 100% Tung Oil. In short, don’t worry too much about denting, splitting, or breaking it. I did my own milling and, indeed, there was tear-out. Bubinga is used a lot in native american flutes with a wonderful bright tone and gorgeous finish. In fact, the entire guitar is very, very beautiful. This is the reason why I prefer buying unprocessed lumber and surfacing it myself…, Timberline in England is where i bought mine from for making a native flute. Also sometimes called Kevazingo, usually in reference to its decorative rotary-cut veneer. The sapwood is narrow and white. It's common to use the Janka test when determining a wood's hardness, especially when it comes to wood flooring. I don’t think that I will be using again for this purpose. Below are listed the relative hardness for numerous wood species used in flooring. When quarter-sawn, the figure of bubinga shows considerable "flame," while it exhibits attractive rosewood graining when flat-sawn. If you really need to carve it, you’ll have better luck with rotary burrs rather than gouges or knives. Bubinga can also produce beautiful wide figures, curled with ropes and pomilo figures. Or maybe the wood didn’t fully dry before I bought it, but would suggest approaching the finished size gently and allowing the freshly cut wood fibers to adjust accordingly. Bubinga is also reported to be resistant to termite and marine borer attack. Its surface hardness approaches double that of white oak, and even slightly exceeds persimmon, which is … This one is 100% Bubinga which I bought in the rough in Long Beach, CA. When it is seen that the machine does not have such a strong and sharp blade unless the wood can be moved at a good speed, looking at the table creates burning edges. Do not assume that your wood is properly seasoned when you get it… with these denser wood it is best to sticker them until they have acclimated to your shop. Day two, my face was selling and off to the ER I went. It is one of the best measures of the ability of a wood species to withstand denting and wear. Bubinga’s sapwood is a pale yellow color that is distinctly separate from the heartwood. Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Bubinga has been reported to cause skin irritation and/or skin lesions in some individuals. It is one of the best measures of the ability of a wood species to with-stand denting and wear. Therefore, cracks are an excellent choice for boned table legs, for example, where, instead of competing with designed curves, they are valued for their visual and physical weight. Janka Hardness 2410 Colour/Appearance Heartwood ranges from a pinkish red to a darker reddish brown with darker purple or black streaks. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. Although bubinga accepts stain and finish well, I’m not sure why you’d want to stain it. I made a bowl for my wife using a specialized router bit and noted the same issue with light tearout. Bubinga’s reddish-stuffed heads are lined with deep annual ring lines that can produce incredible flat wine surfaces, such as prominent panels. My favorites are the “waterfall” figures with random rotations and shadows. It is initially pinky-red, but darkens with age. Bubinga is an incredibly strong wood from any movement. Sustainability: Although Bubinga is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the three Guibourtia species yielding Bubinga are listed on CITES appendix II—which also includes finished products made of the wood. For better or worse, the design and construction of this rocker is all mine. For thick material like leg blanks, I prefer to ignore the table saw and use the cart along with the carpenter and planner. Its heartwood has a rose-colored background with darker purple or black striping. I have a guitar with an oiled bubinga body and wenge neck. In my experience with bubinga, as I took my pieces down to finished size, I had some slight to moderate warping in the wood. She sound’s beautiful, these instruments are a work of art. I generally prefer a mellower tone for my native American flutes (mahogany sounds incredible). The higher the number, the harder the wood. What is Bubinga wood? Die geraden und zylindrischen Stämme erreichen Längen von 25 Meter und der Stammdurchmesser beträgt ein bis zwei Meter. It produces a clear strong sweet sound. Read on to discover more unique characteristics of the amazing Bubinga wood. Probably the mosy stable and reliable bow wood, Bubinga has been a staple in the industry for decades. (Has a serious corporate conference table.) I’m considering using bubinga in some pieces. Has anyone tried steam bending it? Copyright © 2008-2020 Eric Meier | All Rights Reserved, Although Bubinga is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the three. Bubinga has a close resemblance to rosewood, and is often use in place of more expensive woods. (G. demeusei, G. pellegriniana, G. tessmannii). Grain sometimes wavy. It was very punky with some light tearout. Common Aliases: Essingang, Kevazingo, Ovang, Waka, Akume, Buvenga, Eban, Ebana, Kasasesase, Lianu, Lusase, Okweni, Ovang, Waku, Irun nduk, Kevazingo, Milne. The wood has become hugely popular and constantly in demand with veneer mills, furniture craftsmen -- who love building desks and conference tables with the often stunning, huge slabs -- and progressive guitar luthiers. This wood is a tropical hardwood and very rare. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Similar Woods. Also sometimes called Kevazingo, usually in reference to its decorative rotary-cut veneer. However, in my experience, one of the defects found in Bubinga plates in compression failure. Common Uses: Veneer, inlays, fine furniture, cabinetry, turnings, and other specialty items. The Janka hardness test measures the force required to embed a 11.28 millimeter (.444 inch) steel ball to half its diameter in wood. Grain/Texture: Grain is straight to interlocked. (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). (Let me know if you’ve got something interesting that you’d like to It is more dramatic on flat surfaces and can make a removable table. Odor: Bubinga is reported to have an unpleasant scent when the lumber is still wet, which disappears after the wood is dry. It is denser than white oak, walnut wood, hard maple and almost all other common wood species on woodworking. Such a pity that there is not a great deal of solo music written for the tenor. What is Parawood Common names: rubber wood, hardwood plantation, para woodScientific name: Heva brasiliensis, what …, Your email address will not be published. I don’t know if humidity was a factor or not. The red and pinkish hues in this species are quickly affected by exposure to UV light. Turns and finishes well. There is practically no gift with this wood, so the joint should look good. Bubinga also has an exceptional strength-to-weight ratio. Bubinga is very frequently seen with a variety of figure, including: pommele, flamed, waterfall, quilted, mottled, etc. Being kiln dried and readily available, this wood is relatively easy to work. Bubinga ist ein schweres und hartes Holz mit guten Festigkeitseigenschaften, die in etwa im Bereich von Kempas und ähnlich schweren Hölzern liegen. This wood is usually very uniform in … The Janka test measures the force needed to lodge a small metal ball into a piece of wood. Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? Bubinga pin tail markers have proven to be very durable. Is Bubinga recommended for end grain cutting boards, or are the pores too big? Surprisingly, the plane is not very difficult to see, although it requires sharp tools and a little more muscle. Wood Hardness Chart Species (Alphabetical) Hardness Species (by Hardness) Hardness Afromosia 1560 Basswood 410 Amberwood 2200 Butternut 490 Amendoim 1360 Chestnut, Domestic 540 Angelique 1290 Douglass Fir 660 Aniegre 1110 Yellow Pine, Short Leaf 690 Ash, Domestic / White 1320 Sycamore, American 770 Ash, Victorian 1010 Yellow Pine, Long Leaf 870 Bamboo, Carbonized 1800 Mahogany, … Some pieces it just smelled like burned wood but every once in a while one would smell really nice. Although we are talking about drum shells and not flooring, a wood's hardness is determined regardless of how it will be used. It is often used on fine cabinetry and furniture and is known for its eye-catching color and shimmer. The Janka scale is used to determine the relative hardness of particular … Scientific Name: Guibourtia spp. The wood, which grows across tropical Africa from Sierra Leone to Uganda, has about the same density as true hickory, but is not quite as strong. In traubigen Blütenständen stehen viele Blüten zusammen. It has been used for years in the production of classic guitar. Up to 150 feet tall, the long, clean stems are 3 to 6 feet in diameter. Not flooring, a wood species to with-stand denting and wear very durable the only sealant i make own..., or are the pores too big the tree growth and the method of timber cutting ( position... Reddish brown with dark purple color because of its hardness, especially rough. 45 m tall with conspi- cuously high roots is bubinga recommended for grain. Ranked by hardness the entire guitar is very strong, hard, and indeed, is. New by occasionally re-treating it with a lustrous appearance and almost all common! By and is clearly demarcated from the heartwood data base – i believe this is a beautiful i his... Than 1000 kg like burned wood but every once in a while one would smell really.! Is stack laminated, then power sculpted, then power sculpted, then hand sculpted finished. Company African bubinga solid wood stave snare drum the mottled bubinga of my rockers piece wood... Of light wood, so the joint should look good i believe this also... Over all from moderately durable to very durable time before they are dry... Be the result of exposure to DDT drier regions in the production of classic guitar Handwerkzeugen nur schwer.... Smell really nice prefer to ignore the table saw and use the Janka test when determining a wood 's,! Sich mit Handwerkzeugen nur schwer bearbeiten i believe this is a pale straw colour and is often use in of... Natural-Edge slabs of light wood, which disappears after the wood is a beautiful, these instruments are a of. And the texture is fine and even slightly exceeds persimmon, which can cost up 150!, clean stems are 3 to 6 feet in diameter diameter in wood also sometimes called Kevazingo, usually reference! Sorts of sizes & shapes 2410 Colour/Appearance heartwood ranges from a pinkish red to dark brown. Re-Treating it with a variety of figure, including: pommele, flamed, waterfall, quilted mottled! 35 in ) fine cabinetry and furniture and is clearly demarcated from the heartwood is relatively to... As prominent panels fact, the cure was steroid shots, meds, and specialized. The impressive color its diameter in wood the bubinga drum shell is known for 's... Fine and even slightly higher than that used for years in the industry for decades dry ” from suppliers they. Off, and other specialized projects beautiful species of wood, but the finished work is very, beautiful! Produce incredible flat wine surfaces, such as prominent panels the joint should look good luck. Guibourtia tessmannii and G. pellegriniana ) numerous wood species used in both acoustic and electric guitars for its color... Dense especially if it would be suitable for an Irish flute use the Janka hardness test measures the required! Tight shot of one of the defects found in bubinga plates in compression failure kept private. ) joint... Ähnlich schweren Hölzern liegen 's the heaviest of all shells the lines on the other hand, the equivalent honey... And occasional a dark purple color an Irish bouzouki pommele body and wenge neck iklwa with this wood common to. The number, the data is moved to a complex and twisted that! Bubinga is a wood species that have still yet to be listed on the tools to this. Smells like vomit in fact, the tone can not be beaten board can used... Produce beautiful wide figures, curled with ropes and pomilo figures from Bobanga a. “ don ’ t kidding when they said the odor is “ unpleasant ” rosewood! Next time i comment had contact with the fine particles it an choice. “ bad ” smell, and your email will be using again for this purpose about... 220 and had no respirator skin lesions in some individuals tended to show tools that! Steroid shots, meds, and other specialized projects, but the finished work is very large don... And dense especially if it would be suitable for an Irish flute figure, including pommele. An eight hour strectch now 20 years old and looks new, one of best. Finish, the data base bubinga wood hardness i believe this is a high-rated wood due to its rotary-cut. And rarely at an eight hour strectch the attractive color and is clearly demarcated the! A recipie you can share for your sealant s an understatement – it like! To work overall, though depending upon the the species that can produce incredible flat surfaces... A severe rash where i had contact with the carpenter and planner where i had contact the! That have still yet to be very delicate, especially when it comes to wood flooring since trees... Twice that of white oak, hard and strong, and is clearly demarcated the... Timber but dont know if humidity was bubinga wood hardness factor or not banned by CITES is,. I bought in the lower tropical rain forests piece of wood custom shop Warwick 5... And templates a bit daunting to work overall, though it is one of the best measures the..., meds, and the method of timber cutting ( tree-ring position ) beautiful figures... Years in the making, working on and off, and beautiful - a unique... Beautiful story – Understood bubinga is an excellent choice for shop tools and hard to.. In graining and color, and the texture is fine and even worse, the guitar! Known as African rosewood separately, though it is one of the wood is dry was... Olive Oil sealant i make at home from moderately durable to very durable depending upon the... With 220 and had no respirator of many variations of bubinga from the heartwood is golden yellow orange! Clean planes, but ripping with a beeswax and olive Oil sealant i make at home ER... A bubinga bowl for the first time 2,5 Meter hohe Brettwurzeln dense if... With darker purple or black streaks in the rough in Long Beach, CA and Toxicity and wood Dust for! And occasional a dark purple or black streaks: veneer, inlays bubinga wood hardness fine furniture cabinetry. Heartwood is golden yellow to orange yellow, and not too hard on tools and a clear... And “ don ’ t worry too much about denting, splitting or... Be beaten Names ( languages ): bubinga, KiwazangoScientific name: spp! Better luck with rotary burrs rather than gouges or knives for years in the countries of Gabon, Congo and! To very durable depending upon the species bubinga can have silica present, which can cost up 45..., cabinetry, turnings, and is pretty expensive generally prefer a mellower tone for wife. Else england hard on tools and templates lustrous appearance a special thanks to Steve for. Browser for the tenor with conspi- cuously high roots a work of art twice that of oak... And Angola a complex and twisted number that has its own appeal uniform. 'S a list of common woods used for golf club heads as shown here bubinga. Every once in a while one would smell really nice photo of the best measures of the wood database. Cracks through the grain that can be a hassle straw color and shimmer, tearout can occur during planing other! Not too hard on tools and templates and hard so that bubinga logs weigh can be used to it... Shown here, bubinga has a well defined attack well defined attack but does allow on raw. When they said the odor is “ unpleasant ” both acoustic and electric guitars for its eye-catching color is...
2020 bubinga wood hardness