Ample crust is the name of the game with a fougasse, and these deliver. All-purpose flour (King Arthur All-Purpose Flour), Whole wheat flour (King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour), Pitted, drained, and coarsely chopped kalamata olives, Mature sourdough starter (100% hydration). The whole wheat flour called for in this recipe can be flour from the market (or a local mill) or freshly milled—I’ve made them both ways with excellent results. When ready to bake, transfer the fougasse with parchment paper onto the baking stone, immediately throw 10 ice cubes or a cup of water into the baking pan, close the oven door and turn down the temperature to 450F. Made from sourdough with minimal effort, it's perfect on its own or served with a bowl of warm soup!  Feel free to experiment with the types of olives, herbs, and maybe a bit of citrus zest. First, dust the parchment paper with flour in the areas where you’ll place each round. You can do a ladder, leaf or whatever you design you please! Assemble the fougasse: Brush lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with preferred toppings, such as olives, herbs, oil-marinated capers, candied orange peel and granulated sugar, herbes de Provence, or aniseed. sourdough fougasse recipe By | September 5, 2020 | 0 . Try it for both at this year’s Thanksgiving! His recipe has lavender for an extra “Provençal boost”, but I prefer the simplicity of the milder oil-cured kalamata olives and earthy oregano for everyday eating. Total. I think that such versions are usually sweetened, and may contain orange flower water/anise. Then, lightly flour the top of the dough and, using a bench knife, divide the dough into four equal parts. Reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees. Meanwhile, prepare a piece of parchment paper and lightly flour it. Put the dough in a large bowl and set aside to rest in a warm place for 1 hour. By doing this the dough will be easier to handle because the flour would absorb the water and gluten strands will start to form. Finally, flour the top of the inverted round. The longer you bake them, the crunchier they’ll become. Cut two large pieces of parchment paper, wide enough to fit in your oven and baking stone or baking steel. Sourdough Fougasse Food52 - Maurizio Leo • Test Kitchen-Approved Jump to Recipe Author Notes Fougasse makes for a stunning sight on any dinner table, but it’s equally wonderful as an appetizer and surrounded by charcuterie. Bake for 12 minutes and aim for a deep golden color. Mar 8, 2018 - Gorgeous looking bread that tastes equally amazing. In the morning your sourdough levain should have doubled in size and be full of bubbles. Flour your counter and turn your dough out and divide into 3 pieces, round out each pieces into a ball, cover and let it rest for 40 minutes. The first time I saw these I saw them on @blondieandrye and I thought they were beautiful! I haven't found a particular traditional recipe - I suspect that like focaccia almost any dough can be used - depending upon what is available. In the recipe below I used pitted kalamata olives but other types of olives, such as Castelvetrano or niçoise, would also work very well. Please see my policy. 1 loaf, 16 servings. I kept the percentage of herbes de Provence on the low side because these herbs — especially lavender — can also be quite overwhelming. Full Recipe from scratch. Add the water and finally the salt and mix thoroughly. Combine until there are no lumps, cover and place in a draft-free warm area overnight for 12-14 hours. Wanna learn how to bake fresh, delicious, artisanal style sourdough bread at home? This dough is rather firm before we add the olive oil—expect it to ball up around the dough hook quickly. Get my recipe for marinated Skirt Steak and Chimichurri Sauce I A Knead to Bake Get the full recipe … I baked this sourdough fougasse on two racks in my oven, each rack holding two pieces side-by-side. There’s no levain created for this recipe, it’s a same-day dough using a portion of your sourdough starter as the preferment. Put the flour in a large bowl. Sourdough Fougasse with Olives. In the morning your sourdough levain should have doubled in size and be full of bubbles. Using the ice cubes will create steam and create a crust to form. Made from sourdough with minimal effort, it's perfect on its own or served with a bowl of warm soup! Yield. At the end of proof the dough will have risen some and be gassy when poked. Alternatively, you could bake two at a time if you only have a single baking stone/baking steel. Bake at 450°F (232°C) for 20 minutes with steam, then open the oven door, remove steaming pans, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes at 400°F (204°C) until done to your liking: they should be deeply colored but still light in the inbetween areas. At this point you can top your fougasse with your preferred topping: salt, cheese, herbs etc. Mix by hand until incorporated and then turn the dough out to the counter and slap and fold (French fold) for 5-8 minutes until the dough starts to smooth and hold its shape. The French fougasse shares many of the same traits as the Italian focaccia. Remove from the oven and let cool on wire racks. The focus of fougasse is to maximize the crust. After your dough has rested, lightly roll it out into an oval or rectangle shape and use a pizza cutter to create holes. RECIPE: Ingredients: 200 g white wheat flour sourdough starter 500 g wheat flour (450 g of white and 50 g of whole wheat ?flour) 330 g water 10 g salt 20-30 ice cubes for creating steam during the baking Yields: 3 big fougasses or 6 smaller ones Instructions: In the evening, first prepare sourdough starter. Add the olive oil and three-quarters of the water. Sourdough Fougasse (the Last Beginner Recipe for a Reason) Last but not least, as a devoted fan of Nashville’s Dozen Bakery’s fougasse (especially the dill, be still my heart), I couldn’t wait to try this sourdough fougasse from The Orange Fairy blog. When you cut the dough just before baking, you’re increasing the surface area of the dough exposed to the heat of the oven—imagine the cornicone. The touch of lavender in my herbes de Provence filled the house with an incredible aroma when baking this sourdough fougasse. I’ve worked in freshly milled hard red wheat, durum wheat, and even spelt, all iterations have turned out fantastic. Then either mix until a soft, smooth dough is formed in a mixer, or tip the contents of the bowl onto a worktop and knead … Bake . This recipe yields 2 “loaves” of fougasse, but no one can be sure since it always seems to disappear faster than one can count. And, rightly so, these make incredible contributions to a group dining table. Mix your levain into the 330g of warm water. Whatever the choice, be sure they’re pitted and I like them drained and coarsely chopped. Gradually add to flour mixture. Add the herbes de Provence and olives and gently mix to combine (you don’t have to completely disperse the ingredients, your folds during bulk fermentation will help later). I adapted this recipe from @mydailysourdoughbread, 1 heaping tablespoon of active mature sourdough starter, 200g sourdough levain that was prepared the night before. Let the dough rest uncovered for 30 minutes. Add the 500g of measured flour and mix by hand until fully incorporated and no dry ingredients can be seen. The Perfect Loaf is supported in part by the  generosity of its readers. 250 g sourdough starter (100% hydration) 455 g plain or strong flour 295 g water 1 teaspoon sea salt. Mix your levain into the 330g of warm water. … 22 mins. The evening before, prepare your levain for the fougasse. Let the dough proof for 1.5 hours on the counter at about 76-78°F (24-25°C). I like to coarsely chop and drain the kalamata olives because their flavor can be somewhat strong, this way they give a pop only every so often. Pour water into a large bowl. After the second set, let the dough rest, covered, for the remainder of this time period. Perform two sets of stretch and folds during bulk fermentation, the first set starting 30 minutes after bulk fermentation begins (10:00 a.m.). 4 Reviews 3.8 out of 5 stars. Combine until there are no lumps, cover and place in a draft-free warm area overnight for 12-14 hours. Leave the dough to rest (autolyze) for 30 minutes. If you don’t have a baking stone, you can flip over a baking sheet and use that to bake on. Ever wondered how to shape a Fougasse? I steamed my oven per my usual home oven steaming method except I didn’t use the pan with rolled up towels, just the pan with lava rocks. Everything in this mix is in just the right balance for me, but if you find one is under-represented, increase to your liking. I’m a stickler for letting the bread cool before cutting into it, but mustering the required patience after pulling these from the oven test even the most steadfast. This recipe works best if the olives are a mixture of green and black, and have been kept in oil, not brine. You will begin your bulk fermentation and let it sit for 2 hours covered, during this time you will perform 4 series of coil folds or stretch and folds every 30 minutes. Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Feb 10, 2019 - Gorgeous looking bread that tastes equally amazing. After the autolyse, add the 10g of salt and mix by hand for 4 minutes until incorporated. That, coupled with the earthiness of the kalamata olives, waiting the thirty or so minutes for these to get out of the oven and onto your cutting board is a task. Sourdough fougasse with homemade hummus, aleppo pepper, and cumin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Take out of the oven and put on a cooling rack. If the dough still looks dense and not active enough, give it another 15-30 minutes to rise further. If you use this recipe, tag @maurizio on Instagram and use the hashtag #theperfectloaf so I can take a look! Measure 100g of warm water, 100g bread flour and 1 large tablespoon of your active mature sourdough starter. Made from sourdough with minimal effort, it's perfect on its own or served with a bowl of warm soup! The focus of fougasse is to maximize the crust. I like to lightly dust the top of the ovals with white rice flour to ensure our bench knife/pizza wheel doesn’t stick to the dough. Sprinkle yeast into water, and let it stand undisturbed until dissolved. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Measure out the called for extra virgin olive oil, herbes de provence, and kalamata olives. Slightly adapted from The Perfect Loaf. Add the called for flour and all but 50g of the water to a mixing bowl and mix by hand until incorporated. Then, flour the top of each round and flip it over onto the parchment paper using a bench knife (seen above, upper-right).
2020 fougasse recipe sourdough