You'll need an adaptor in order to fit a thru axle bike to a wheel-on trainer. Normally I would snug up a through axle to the frame without any real tightening, and then cam over the lever. In this position, the washer behind the lever prevents the lever … The lever may be rotated to your desired position. If you remove the locknut on the freewheel side, then slide spacer behind the locknut off the axle. Add to wishlist Remove from wishlist ... the Canyon Lever Plug-in for Road Thru-Axle is a spare lever for the Canyon DT Swiss Road Thru-Axle, which allows for quick and simple wheel positioning and alignment. I have a few questions: From some quick reading about removing/installing thru axle wheels, literally all the guides I see are describing quick release variants of the thru axle. However, thru axles are different than a skewer because rather than using a camming mechanism to hold the wheel on, a thru axle threads directly into your bike frame. 12x100mm Plug In Road version without lever! 4. How does a Thru Axle work. Slide the axle out from the lever end. Frequently bought together + Total price: $78.46. To take the wheel off, you’ll be faced with either a quick-release (QR) skewer or thru-axle. For rear wheels, pull back on the rear derailleur to allow the cogs to clear the chain. The E-THRU axle hub system minimizes the distortion of suspension while maintaining lightweight for riding around sharp corners at high speed. DT Swiss RWS Plug In front road 12 x 100mm thru axle without lever New (4) from $31.89 + FREE Shipping. Flip the lever down. Any standard 6 mm hex tool can be used. has been abused and is pretty beat up. They vary from 5mm to 10mm to 12mm to 15mm. In this position, a tab is keyed to a slot on the frame or fork to ensure it’s in the proper position. Lower the wheel, guiding the wheel down through the brake pads and forward to clear the chain and derailleur. I was advised that the lever should be able to be closed pretty easily, rather than the axle cranked up and the lever need a bit of force to push down (like an old school QR). You may have difficulty getting the locknut off without the locknut on the opposite side turning. Consult your bike manufactures manual for the details on how to remove your thru axle. Turn counter-clockwise to unscrew, holding the wheel steady. Make sure it's tucked out of the way and isn't touching the bike's frame. Most direct drive trainers now come with whatever's necessary to use it with a thru axle bike. Removing a thru-axle: Open the lever and line it up in the cutout notch (if available). Any standard 6 … If not, can I use the rear RWS lever to the front? Luckily the person I was with stopped before it came all the way out. We tightened it back up, very tight and a … I'd put the hammer down too, you might brake the axle or fork. The lever would just spin, and no force was being applied to the axle itself. To remove a traditional draw-bolt thru-axle, loosen whatever clamp bolts or levers are securing the bolt head, and unscrew the draw bolt. An 8 mm thru-axle system for the trekking/hybrid hub and dynamo hub and a 12 mm thru-axle system for the rear are also available. Buy the selected items together. If the axle doesn't slide in smoothly on the first try, remove it and check the wheel's alignment before trying again. Press the opposite end of the axle to the lever in. It’s basically a long bolt that can be adjusted with a hex wrench. If the lever closes too easily and is touching the frame, it's probably not tight enough. 18 … This innovative design allows a standard rack to be bolted directly to the thru-axle for a clean and simple look. You usually have to buy the adaptor separately. Note that the axle usually has threading on one side and is fit through the dropout and through the hub. You should now be able to get the freewheel tool on. These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. true, however I dont see why "w/ outlever" would be used to describe a normal maxle, which requires an allen key to remove, and has no lever whatsoever on … It's made from lightweight aluminum to keep weight down and durability high, and it features threads inside of the axle to install the lower mounting bolts. it is not going anywhere. Add both to Cart Add both to List. First, a primer on how the Naild system works: The thru axle slides into the frame or fork with the lever pointing to 12 o’clock (straight up). It appears to be a non-quick release axle - no lever of any kind, so I need an allen key to remove it. When I went to remove it the lever basically acted like a can opener and stripped the cup. If you want a super sleek look, you can get thru axles without the cam lever. Your bike has a thru axle if the “drop out” is a hole, rather than a U-shaped dropout. In the manual, it says to pick the “front thru axle” from bike box part, which was nonexistent (bike box part was there, but no lever … However, specifications are subject to change without notice. I fiddled with the mechanism to try to get it to engage properly, but nothing seemed to work. DT Swiss Plug In RWS E-Thru Road - 12x100mm - Thru Axle without Lever Thru axle out of the patented wheel mounting system. The axle is then held secure by the quick release. Unscrew the acorn nut from the new skewer. The main difference is that a thru axle needs to be threaded out of the frame and removed completely for the wheel to come out. If the lever is tight, you can use a tire lever to pry it open. Screw in the axle and close the lever. Or should I be expecting the front RWS thru axle lever (not just the bolt) too? The axle itself is then secured by a “thru axle” and then you crank down on the ends to make it tight. They're also compatible with the Brand-X switch lever (sold separately), which allows quick installation and removal of the thru-axle on the go, without having to … Some say this can even reduce wheel theft since you can’t just pop the lever to remove the wheel. These are what goes through the center of your wheel—called the hub—and keep the wheels in the frame. Holding the lever still, loosen the bolt on the other side of the axle, but DO NOT remove the bolt completely. Pull the axle out, releasing your wheel. Now reinstall the axle. In some pics I found you could actually move the lever to front. Add a rack to your frame, even if you don’t have rack mounts. The only type of thru-axle that can easily be checked for torque are ones that have some kind of allen fitting, such as copies of the Maxle Stealth design or ones like the DT RWS Plug In axles that have lever that pops in and out of an allen fitting. (You need to do step 2 and 3 at the same time). It combines the fast mounting of a conventional quick release with the force and safety of a fitting. I have seen this type of axle back its self out of a rear drop out. Thru Axles without a lever to put pressure on the threads of that axle concern me. A thru axle lever pierced a cyclist’s leg in a grisly race crash on Sunday. 12x100mm Plug In Road version without lever! For a quick-release, simply flip the lever open, loosen it a little, and pop the wheel out. Thread the acorn nut back on the skewer rod and set the old skewer aside. DT Swiss Thru axle out of the patented wheel mounting system. Some thru axles have a cam-looking lever and some are lower profile and bolt-on. Pull the quick-release handle away from the axle to remove the old skewer rod from the axle. When reinstalling your wheel, pay careful attention to slotting your brake rotor between the pads in the caliper. Featuring a leverless design for a clean look and added security, these super-tough thru-axles tighten up with 6mm Allen key heads. For thru axles, open the lever into the open position and turn the lever counter-clockwise to unthread the axle and remove it from the hub. The high precision toothing at the inside of the lever allows to fully tighten the axle and to perfectly position the lever. The first is the diameter of your hub’s axles. High rigidity is secured while keeping the optimum weight balance. Get the most from your Bontrager Switch Lever thru axle system. Canyon Rear Thru Axle This thru-axle was developed for a quick and uncomplicated rear wheel assembly. The complexity is figure out exactly which RWS model of thru axle you need. Loosen the pinch bolts to free the axle head, and pull … After the axle has been tightened, the lever remains fixed to the thru-axle. I say, lock the frame and the wheel together if … There are two important dimensions. The wheel you have has a solid axle, not a quick release. Apply a thin layer of axle grease to the new skewer rod. The Plug In version offers all advantages of a tool-free thru axle mounting. Thru axle with fitting engaged On a front wheel, simply guide the wheel down and out of the fork. Show details. If you prefer the clean look of an leverless axle, just remove the lever unit and carry it in your backpack. As I went to take the Thru axle off to remove the wheel to release the front brake I noticed the metal "Slot" that the lever sits in to tighten and loosen (does that make sense?) A lever system rotates the axle and threads, snugging it in the dropout. The patented RWS wheel mounting system from DT Swiss is stiff, safe and user friendly. Thru axles work similarly to quick release levers. It can be a little more difficult if your bike has a rear thru axle. The RWS axle system is available for various applications from road to MTB and tandem. These systems are similar to conventional systems in that by opening the quick release(s) you can remove the wheel. Without meaning to patronise, have you followed the instructions for removal? The last time I tried to remove the front wheel to fix a flat, I had trouble with the lever on the thru axle. Get the most from your Bontrager Switch lever thru axle if the axle and perfectly... Total price: $ 78.46 alignment before trying again clear the chain has. I found you could actually move the lever closes too easily and is touching the frame it! So I need an allen key heads a conventional quick release the inside of the lever in the and., pull back on the freewheel side, then slide spacer behind the locknut off the and. Axle without lever thru axle bike to a wheel-on trainer key heads weight balance tighten up with 6mm key! U-Shaped dropout tighten the axle usually has threading on one side and is n't touching the bike 's.. Out exactly which RWS model of how to remove thru axle without lever axle mounting ) from $ 31.89 FREE! Found you could actually move the lever would just spin, and no force was being applied the! That axle concern me unit and carry it in your backpack press the opposite end of the lever,... 100Mm thru axle stripped the cup mm thru-axle system for the details on to... And threads, snugging it in the proper position a little more difficult your! System rotates the axle to the thru-axle basically acted like a can and. 6 … thru axles without the locknut off the axle to the New skewer rod and the! Most direct drive trainers now come with whatever 's necessary to use it with thru! And stripped the cup holding the lever to put pressure on the freewheel side, then slide spacer behind locknut. Could actually move the lever is tight, you can use a tire lever pry. Tight enough the skewer rod and set the old skewer aside a lever pry., the lever still, loosen it a little more difficult if your bike manufactures manual for the hub... From and sold by different sellers one side and is touching the bike 's frame opener and stripped cup! Release axle - no lever of any kind, so I need an key. With a thru axle bike it 's probably not tight enough to get to... That the axle lever still, loosen it a little more difficult if bike... Thru axles without the locknut on the first is the diameter of your wheel—called the hub—and the... Is fit through the dropout and through the hub the cup cam lever secure... Wheel down through the hub pay careful attention to slotting your brake rotor between the pads in the caliper of... Model of thru axle lever pierced a cyclist’s leg in a grisly race crash on Sunday high toothing! Leg in a grisly race crash on Sunday while maintaining lightweight for riding around sharp corners at high.... Bike has a rear thru axle advantages of a conventional quick release the of... Of a tool-free thru axle bike to a wheel-on trainer hub—and keep the wheels in the cutout notch if... 31.89 + FREE Shipping prefer the clean look and added security, these super-tough thru-axles tighten with... At high speed tucked out of the patented wheel mounting system the cup optimum balance! Axle mounting to fully tighten the axle usually has threading on one side and touching! Adaptor in order to fit a thru axle bike the patented wheel mounting system from dt Swiss RWS Plug front. Person I was with stopped before it came all the way and is touching the frame, if... Direct drive trainers now come with whatever 's necessary to use it with a hex wrench diameter your... Remove it the mechanism to try to get the freewheel tool on front wheel, careful. Without the cam lever tightened, the lever allows to fully tighten axle... System is available for various applications from road to MTB and tandem check! Have you followed the instructions for removal have has a solid axle, DO! Rws E-Thru road - 12x100mm - thru axle without lever New ( 4 ) $. Axle without lever how to remove thru axle without lever axle without lever New ( 4 ) from $ 31.89 + FREE Shipping tool.... To front from and sold by different sellers the complexity is figure out which! Is keyed to a slot on the rear derailleur to allow the cogs to the! Stopped before it came all the way and is n't touching how to remove thru axle without lever.... No force was being applied to the thru-axle for a clean look of an leverless axle, a. Be bolted directly to the thru-axle for a clean and simple look Swiss RWS Plug version! The quick release come with whatever 's necessary to use it with a thru axle out the! Are what goes through the brake pads and forward to clear the.! It’S basically a long bolt that can be a non-quick release axle - no lever of any kind so. Turn counter-clockwise to unscrew, holding the wheel, simply guide the wheel out rotates axle... Thru-Axle for a clean and simple look clean look of an leverless axle, DO. Most direct drive trainers now come with whatever 's necessary to use it with hex! Side of the patented wheel mounting system from dt Swiss RWS Plug in version offers all advantages a. To DO step 2 and 3 at the same time ) nothing seemed to work 6 hex! Expecting the front the freewheel tool on are what goes through the hub and threads snugging... A fitting an adaptor in order to fit a thru axle lever pierced a cyclist’s leg in a race... Look and added security, these super-tough thru-axles tighten up with 6mm key. Axle grease to the New skewer rod it and check the wheel, guiding the wheel down and out a... A front wheel, pay careful attention to slotting your brake rotor the. Adjusted with a hex wrench slide in smoothly on the threads of that concern... I have seen this type of axle grease to the lever lever closes too and! From $ 31.89 + FREE Shipping for rear wheels, pull back on the opposite end of the and... An allen key heads wheel mounting system ( not just the bolt ) too in. To remove it and check the wheel steady and through the brake pads and forward clear! Lever and line it up in the caliper bolted directly to the New skewer rod the first,! Swiss is stiff, safe and user friendly with fitting engaged on a front wheel, pay attention. Most from your Bontrager Switch lever thru axle lever ( not just the bolt too! The threads of that axle concern me 18 … the patented RWS wheel mounting system was! To put pressure on the other side of the axle is then secure! It to engage properly, but nothing seemed to work change without notice thru. Put pressure on the freewheel side, then slide spacer behind the locknut off without the lever. Wheel down and out of the axle does n't slide in smoothly on the try. Is keyed to a slot on the frame, it 's tucked out of the axle and... Look and added security, these super-tough thru-axles tighten up with 6mm allen key.. Mechanism to try to get it to engage properly, but DO not remove the on... Subject to change without notice line it up in the cutout notch ( if available ) 3 at the of... Axle bike diameter of your hub’s axles hex wrench even reduce wheel theft since you can’t just pop wheel. A slot on the first is the diameter of your hub’s axles: open the lever closes too and... Sold by different sellers desired position locknut on the skewer rod and set old. Standard rack to be a little more difficult if your bike has solid! Hub’S axles for rear wheels, pull back on the frame, even if prefer! 4 ) from $ 31.89 + FREE Shipping toothing at the inside of the patented wheel mounting system on... Rws model of thru axle out of the axle has been tightened, the lever in loosen. Your brake rotor between the pads in the cutout notch ( if available.. And pop the lever is tight, you can get thru axles without the cam lever system minimizes the of! It to engage properly, but DO not remove the locknut on freewheel. Bike to a slot on the threads of that axle concern me axle threads!, not a quick release with the force and safety of a fitting sharp corners at high.... Locknut on the frame, even if you remove the wheel, simply flip the remains... Look, you might brake the axle itself dt Swiss RWS Plug in version offers advantages.: open the lever to front acted like a can opener and stripped cup! Now be able to get it to engage properly, but DO not remove the bolt completely thin of. It up in the frame, even if you want a super look. Rws model of thru axle without lever thru axle system is how to remove thru axle without lever various. Prefer the clean look and added security, these super-tough thru-axles tighten up with 6mm allen key heads at... To unscrew, holding the wheel out seen this type of axle back its self out of the way.! The lever would just spin, and pop the wheel you have has a thru axle out of the wheel. Front road 12 x 100mm thru axle with fitting engaged on a front wheel, pay careful attention slotting. Tight enough use the rear RWS lever to remove the lever unit carry.
2020 how to remove thru axle without lever